At a Glance
July 28, 2019 11:59 pm EDT
Incoming first-year or transfer students at UNC or Fayetteville State University
Provides funding for students to participate in an interactive, five-day experience in Puerto Rico
ID# 1415 | Last Updated: Friday, May 17, 2019
The Global Take Off: Puerto Rico program provides funding for students to participate in an interactive, five-day experience in Puerto Rico after final exams are over in December. In collaboration with the Institute for the Study of the Americas, this program includes the following components:
- Fully funded trip to Puerto Rico to participate in an interactive educational experience, including discussions with Puerto Rican students and community members and tours of local sites and community organizations
- Collaborative learning with both UNC and University of Puerto Rico faculty and staff
- Career and personal development and networking opportunities
The Global Take Off: Puerto Rico program was established in 2015 and is made possible by a generous donation from UNC alumna, Maribel Carrion ’77, ’86 M.B.A., in honor of her sister, Marisela, who was also a UNC-CH alumna.
This program is part of UNC’s major effort to significantly increase the number of traditionally underrepresented students who have access to global opportunities. As such, we encourage applications regardless of a student’s academic discipline, age, disabilities, educational or family background, gender identity, racial or ethnic identity, sexual orientation or socio-economic status.
- Be a UNC or Fayetteville State University first-year undergraduate or transfer student starting in the upcoming fall semester
- Have limited or no global travel experience
- Demonstrate financial need through one of the following:
- Pell Grant eligibility as determined by your FAFSA
- An international student financial aid worksheet that demonstrates need
- A narrative statement, if the other two options do not apply, that discusses need
Students will travel to Puerto Rico after final exams are finished, around the third week of December. The trip will be led by Beatriz Riefkohl Muñiz, Associate Director of the Institute for the Study of the Americas and Brandy Arellano, Program Manager at the Center for Global Initiatives. It will include a combination of instructional and experiential opportunities as an introduction to Puerto Rican people, culture, politics, and community development.
The entire application process is completed online, and you can view the 2018 application before you begin. The application consists of the following:
- Application form, including name and contact information
- Five short answer questions
- Supporting financial documentation (if required)
- List of past global travel experience (if any)
- One reference
- UNC Honor Pledge
Evaluation of Applicants
Applications are evaluated by UNC faculty and staff review committees who will consider the following:
- Does the applicant demonstrate financial need based on their FAFSA through the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid or a written statement?
Diversity of Background, Discipline & Perspective
- Does the candidate bring personal experiences, perspectives and/or background to the opportunity that help the group represent UNC’s diverse population?
- How likely is the experience to impact a wide audience (other UNC students, local community, family) once the applicant returns?
- Would participation in the Global Take Off: Puerto Rico program allow the applicant to gain new, relevant global experience the applicant wouldn’t otherwise have?
- Will the proposed opportunity contribute deeply to the applicant’s personal growth?
Prior Global Experience
How much prior global experience has the applicant already had?
- Online application deadline: July 28, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.
- Application status notification: September 2019
If selected for participation, all awardees must:
- Attend two pre-departure orientation sessions
- Attend two post-departure reflection sessions
- Complete an online survey before and after the trip
- Present at one of the following:
Related Information Sessions & Events
There are no upcoming events at this time.