At a Glance
To Be Announced
(Sign-up for our eBulletin.)
Incoming first-year or transfer students at UNC or Fayetteville State University
Provides funding for students to participate in an interactive, five-day experience in Puerto Rico
ID# 1415 | Last Updated: Tuesday, September 8, 2020
The Global Take Off: Puerto Rico program provides funding for students to participate in an interactive, five-day experience in Puerto Rico after final exams are over in December or January. In collaboration with the Institute for the Study of the Americas, this program includes the following components:
- Fully funded trip to Puerto Rico to participate in an interactive educational experience, including discussions with Puerto Rican students and community members and tours of local sites and community organizations
- Collaborative learning with both UNC and University of Puerto Rico faculty and staff
- Career and personal development and networking opportunities
The Global Take Off: Puerto Rico program was established in 2015 and is made possible by a generous donation from UNC alumna, Maribel Carrion ’77, ’86 M.B.A., in honor of her sister, Marisela, who was also a UNC-CH alumna.
This program is part of UNC’s major effort to significantly increase the number of traditionally underrepresented students who have access to global opportunities. We encourage students of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply regardless of their academic discipline, age, disabilities, educational or family background, gender identity, racial or ethnic identity, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status.
- Be a UNC or Fayetteville State University first-year undergraduate or transfer student who started in spring semester or is starting in the upcoming fall semester
- Have limited or no global travel experience
- Demonstrate financial need through one of the following:
- Eligible for need-based aid as demonstrated in the FAFSA
- An international student financial aid worksheet that demonstrates financial need
- A narrative statement, if the other two options do not apply, that discusses financial need
Students will travel to Puerto Rico after final exams are finished, around the third week of December. The trip will be led by Beatriz Riefkohl Muñiz, Associate Director of the Institute for the Study of the Americas; Brandy Arellano, Program Manager at the Center for Global Initiatives; and a graduate co-leader who is yet to be announced. It will include a combination of instructional and experiential opportunities as an introduction to Puerto Rican people, culture, politics, and community development.
Hear important takeaways from three past Global Take Off participants and enjoy a compilation of photos and videos from the 2016 Global Take Off cohort. To see more photos from past experiences, visit the CGI Facebook and Instagram pages.
The entire application process is completed online, and you can view a preview of last year’s application before you begin. The application consists of the following:
- Application form, including name and contact information
- Five short answer questions
- Supporting financial documentation (if required)
- List of past global travel experience (if any)
- One reference
- UNC Honor Pledge
Evaluation of Applicants
Applications are evaluated by UNC faculty and staff review committees who will consider the following:
- Does the applicant demonstrate financial need based on their FAFSA through the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid or a written statement?
Diversity of Background, Discipline & Perspective
- Does the candidate bring personal experiences, perspectives and/or background to the opportunity that help the group represent UNC’s diverse population?
- How likely is the experience to impact a wide audience (other UNC students, local community, family) once the applicant returns?
- Would participation in the Global Take Off: Puerto Rico program allow the applicant to gain new, relevant global experience the applicant wouldn’t otherwise have?
- Will the proposed opportunity contribute deeply to the applicant’s personal growth?
Prior Global Experience
How much prior global experience has the applicant already had?
- Online application deadline: August 16, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
- Application status notification: October 2020
If selected for participation, all awardees must:
- Attend two pre-departure orientation sessions
- Attend two post-departure reflection sessions
- Complete an online survey before and after the trip
- Communicate to others about Global Take Off through at least ONE of the following opportunities:
- Present at the Center for Global Initiatives’ Global Projects Showcase (two offered per semester)
- Host a table with other students at GO! Global Orientation on Culture + Ethics
- Write an article for your local newspaper or former high school/community college
- Other approved speaking engagement or communications activity
Related Information Sessions & Events
There are no upcoming events at this time.