At a Glance
September 30, 2019 11:59 pm EST
First-year or new transfer students who are eligible, but have not obtained their U.S. passport
Funding for first-year or new transfer students to obtain their first U.S. passport
ID# 1416 | Last Updated: Thursday, January 31, 2019
Seeded by a grant from the UNC Parents Council and sustained by the Chancellor’s Global Education Fund and UNC alumni, this award provides funding for first-year or new transfer students to obtain their first U.S. passport. The primary goal of this award is to encourage students to begin participating in global opportunities early in their academic careers.
To be eligible for the award, the student must:
- Be a first-year or new transfer undergraduate student
- Demonstrate financial need by either: (a) being eligible for need-based financial aid at UNC or (b) providing a statement detailing the specific situation and need for this support.
- Have never before held, but is eligible to apply for, a U.S. passport
- Agree to all of the award requirements as listed below (Some exceptions for official and excused absences can be made with prior approval.)
- Be willing to explore global opportunities through service, study, research or professional experiences both locally and abroad
Available Funding & Disbursement
The award amount of $145 covers the application cost for a U.S. passport, and it will be disbursed at the annual UNC Global Passport Drive. Recipients will be expected to cover the cost of passport photos ($7 to $15).
Notification of Award
Applicants will be notified approximately two weeks after the application deadline via email. Please do not contact the Center for Global Initiatives to inquire about the status of your application during this time frame.
Students will be required to…
- Apply for a passport at the UNC Global Passport Drive (mid-November with possible second drive in March)
- Attend one Global Project Showcase presentation (check our events for the upcoming options)
- Attend the Discovery Dinner (February 7, 2019, 5 – 7 pm, Fedex Global Education Center)
- Attend one Funding Application Workshop offered in conjunction with The Writing Center (check our events for the upcoming options)
- Attend the GO! Global Orientation on Culture + Ethics (March 30, 2019)
Students are also encouraged to…
- Complete periodic evaluations over the next four years
- Attend focus groups aimed at improving global opportunities
- Basic biographical information
- Two short answer questions
Sign up for our eBulletin to be notified of other opportunities from our office, across campus and beyond!
Related Information Sessions & Events
There are no upcoming events at this time.