At a Glance
September 19, 2019 11:59 pm EDT
Graduating seniors, current graduate students and alumni who have not yet earned a Ph.D.
Allows graduating seniors, graduate students and recent graduates to study, research or teach in one of more than 140 countries
ID# 1409 | Last Updated: Wednesday, May 22, 2019
2020-2021 Fulbright Campus Deadline:
September 19, 2019 @ 11:59 PM, EST
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program allows graduating seniors, master’s students, doctoral candidates, and recent graduates to self-design a research/study project, or serve as an English Teaching Assistant in one of more than 140 countries.
The Fulbright program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and is managed nationally by the Institute of International Education and at UNC by the Center for Global Initiatives.
Eligibility & Application Process
All applicants must meet the eligibility requirements of the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. To apply through the Center for Global Initiatives you must meet the campus deadline. The following outline provides an overview of the full application process.
- Complete the Fulbright U.S Student Program Interest Form. This is not the Fulbright application. It is a form that CGI uses for internal purposes.
- Join the Fulbright Sakai site. This site houses past funded statements, timelines, and other helpful resources. [NOTE: Alumni may apply at large but are welcome to apply through the Center with the approval of the Fulbright Program Adviser.]
- Start drafting your Statement of Purpose and Personal Statement.
- Preview the online application. This is the actual Fulbright U.S Student program application.
- Submit your online application by the Campus Deadline of September 19, 2019 @ 11:59 PM EST.
- Conduct the Campus Interview. You will be contacted by the Fulbright U.S Student Program Advisor, Iyman Ahmed, shortly after submitting your application about the logistics of your interview.
- You will receive feedback on your application during your interview. You will have a chance to edit your application after the interview. Directly after your interview, you will be given 72 hours to apply any edits to your application.
- Final application submission via the Fulbright online application platform.
Interested in Fulbright but not not sure that you want to apply? Attend an information session and join the Fulbright Student Sakai site to learn more!