At a Glance
October 4, 2019 11:59 pm EDT
First year students
Transfer students in their first year living on campus
Limited to no travel
Demonstrated financial need
Fully funded, faculty-led trip to Trinidad over Spring Break.
ID# 11204 | Last Updated: Monday, October 7, 2019
First Year Experience: Trinidad is an opportunity provided by the Center for Global Initiatives, Carolina Housing and the University of the West Indies at St. Augustine. This interactive, five-day, fully funded global opportunity is led by faculty and staff and is specifically designed for students with limited to no travel experience and demonstrated financial need. The trip will occur over Spring Break (March 8-14, 2020) and provides the following:
- Fully funded trip to Trinidad to participate in an interactive educational experience, including discussions with Trinidadian students and community members
- Visits to local sites and community organizations
- Academic, career and personal development opportunity
Aligned with CGI’s Opening Access effort, we encourage students of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply regardless of their academic discipline, age, disabilities, educational or family background, gender identity, racial or ethnic identity, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status.
- Be first-year student or transfer students in their first year at Carolina living on campus
- Have limited or no global travel experience
- Be returning to UNC as a student in the fall semester of 2020
- Demonstrate financial need through one of the following:
- Pell Grant eligibility as determined by your FAFSA
- An international student financial aid worksheet that demonstrates need
- A narrative statement, if the other two options do not apply, that discusses need
The entire application process is completed online and consists of the following (you can preview the application here):
- Biographical information
- Short answer questions
- Supporting financial documentation (if required)
- List of past global travel experience (if any)
- One reference
- UNC Honor Pledge
Applications are evaluated by UNC faculty and staff who will consider the following:
- Does the applicant demonstrate financial need based on their FAFSA through the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid or a written statement?
Diversity of Background, Discipline & Perspective
- Does the candidate bring personal experiences, perspectives and/or backgrounds to the opportunity that help the group represent UNC’s diverse population?
- How likely is the experience to impact a wide audience (other UNC students, local community, family) once the applicant returns?
- Would participation in the FYE: Trinidad program allow the applicant to gain new, relevant global experience the applicant wouldn’t otherwise have?
- Will the proposed opportunity contribute deeply to the applicant’s personal growth?
Prior Global Experience
- How much prior global experience has the applicant already had?
If selected for participation, all awardees must:
- Attend four pre-departure orientation sessions (during the fall and spring semesters)
- Attend two post-departure reflection sessions (during the spring semester)
- Complete an online survey before and after the trip
- Present at one of the following:
- The Center for Global Initiatives’ Global Projects Showcase
- UNC Development event
- Other approved speaking engagement