At a Glance
October 2, 2017 11:59 pm EDT
First-year or new transfer students who are eligible, but have not obtained their U.S. passport.
Funding for first-year or new transfer students to obtain their first U.S. passport.
ID# 1416 | Last Updated: Thursday, July 13, 2017
Seeded by a grant from the UNC Parents Council and sustained by the Chancellor’s Global Education Fund, this award provides funding for first-year or new transfer students to obtain their first U.S. passport. Applications from students who otherwise would not be able to afford the cost of a passport are prioritized, and we are specifically targeting students traditionally underrepresented in global opportunities (read more about our Opening Access initiative here). The primary goal of this award is to encourage students to begin participating in global opportunities early in their academic careers.
To be eligible for the award, the student must:
- Be a first-year or new transfer undergraduate student.
- Demonstrate financial need by either: (a) being eligible for need-based financial aid at UNC or (b) providing a statement detailing the specific situation and need for this support.
- Have never before held, but be eligible to apply for, a U.S. passport.
- Have never traveled outside of the United States.
- Agree to all of the award requirements as listed below. (Some exceptions for official and excused absences can be made with prior approval.)
- Be willing to explore global opportunities through service, study, research or professional experiences both locally and abroad.
Available Funding & Disbursement
At least 50 awards in the amount of $135 to cover the application cost for a U.S. passport will be disbursed to the winners. Recipients will be expected to cover the cost of passport photos ($7 to $10).
Notification of Award
Applicants will be notified approximately two weeks after the application deadline via email. Do not contact the Center for Global Initiatives to inquire about the status of your application during this time frame.
Students will be required to…
- Apply for a passport at the UNC Global Passport Drive (November 2017)
- Attend one Global Project Showcase presentations
- Attend the Passport to GO! kickoff dinner (January 2018)
- Attend one Grant Writing Workshop provided monthly by The Writing Center
- Attend the GO! Global Orientation on Culture + Ethics (April 14, 2018)
Students are also encouraged to…
- Complete periodic evaluations over the next four years
- Attend focus groups aimed at improving global opportunities
We anticipate the application for this award to open by the first day of class. Sign up for our eBulletin to be notified when the online application is available and the next deadline is established.
Required application materials include:
- Basic biographical information
- Short answer questions