At a Glance
October 2, 2017 11:59 pm EDT
First-year or new transfer students who are eligible, but have not obtained their U.S. passport.
Funding for first-year or new transfer students to obtain their first U.S. passport.
ID# 1416 | Last Updated: Friday, August 25, 2017
Seeded by a grant from the UNC Parents Council and sustained by the Chancellor’s Global Education Fund, this award provides funding for first-year or new transfer students to obtain their first U.S. passport. The primary goal of this award is to encourage students to begin participating in global opportunities early in their academic careers.
To be eligible for the award, the student must:
- Be a first-year or new transfer undergraduate student
- Demonstrate financial need by either: (a) being eligible for need-based financial aid at UNC or (b) providing a statement detailing the specific situation and need for this support.
- Have never before held, but is eligible to apply for, a U.S. passport
- Agree to all of the award requirements as listed below (Some exceptions for official and excused absences can be made with prior approval.)
- Be willing to explore global opportunities through service, study, research or professional experiences both locally and abroad
Available Funding & Disbursement
The award amount of $135 covers the application cost for a U.S. passport, and it will be disbursed at the annual UNC Global Passport Drive. Recipients will be expected to cover the cost of passport photos ($7 to $10).
Notification of Award
Applicants will be notified approximately two weeks after the application deadline via email. Please do not contact the Center for Global Initiatives to inquire about the status of your application during this time frame.
Students will be required to…
- Apply for a passport at the UNC Global Passport Drive (November 14-15, 2017)
- Attend one Global Project Showcase presentation (three scheduled per semester)
- Attend the Passport to GO! kickoff dinner (January 2018)
- Attend one Grant Writing Workshop (a series offered in conjunction with The Writing Center)
- Attend the GO! Global Orientation on Culture + Ethics (April 14, 2018)
Students are also encouraged to…
- Complete periodic evaluations over the next four years
- Attend focus groups aimed at improving global opportunities
- Basic biographical information
- Two short answer questions