Center for Global Initiatives Interns
Get valuable professional experience relevant to communications, global education, and program management with the Center for Global Initiatives (CGI), a vibrant National Resource Center in global education. Get to know a small, upbeat team of creative staff at who award funding for international travel and run a variety of globally-themed initiatives spanning from the Carolina Global Photo Contest to the GO! Global Orientation on Culture and Ethics. This is an excellent fit for those interested in global studies, higher education or internationally-focused careers.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Summer Positions: Outreach Interns
APPLICATIONS DUE APRIL 11, 2016
- Inspire & inform peers and their families about global opportunities available at Carolina!
(You’ll learn a ton about opportunities for yourself in the process.)
- Create & find social media to inspire peers to seek global opportunities.
- Promote the Carolina Global Photography Competition on social media using our awesome archive.
- Design your own project to get new Carolina students fired up about global opportunities.
- Other tasks as needed (general office duties).
- Creatively integrate your skills, perspective and knowledge.
- Work independently, make informed decisions and take initiative.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
HELPFUL SKILLS OR EXPERIENCE:
- Public speaking skills.
- A welcoming & enthusiastic demeanor.
- Comfort discussing diversity and encouraging students of all backgrounds to seek opportunities they may assume are not within their reach.
- Experience living, studying or working abroad is a plus!
- And/ Or if you consider yourself to not be a “typical” international traveler or study abroad student in some way, that is also a plus! Here is how we are thinking about diversity, broadly defined, as well as a more comprehensive definition of global opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume and a cover letter to Bevin Tighe at answering:
- Why do you care about your Carolina peers having global opportunities (studying abroad, learning foreign languages, and doing service or research abroad)?
- What do you bring to the internship in terms of your skills, experiences and who you are as a person?
SCHEDULE & DETAILS:
- This internship is an unpaid opportunity for work experience only.
- A 10 hour per week commitment is expected. This position begins with an orientation for interns the week of May 23, 2016 and ends August 21, 2016.
- Please address any known schedule conflicts in your application. There is flexibility for other commitments, but availability during Orientation Info Fairs is crucial:
- First Year Orientation Info Fairs (likely 10:45 a.m. - 1:15 p.m.)
- four Transfer Orientation Info Fairs (likely 7:15 - 8:15 a.m.)
- Fall Fest, August 21 (likely for 2 hours between 7 - 11 p.m.)
- Successful interns will be welcomed to continue in one of our 2015-2016 academic year positions.
- Unfortunately, parking is not available on site. Applicants should be able to easily walk or move between the FedEx Global Education Center and the Student Union and transport additional outreach materials if needed, up to 20 lbs in a rolling luggage cart.
Even if you are not selected for an internship, we welcome you to come to us for advice & resources as you seek further global opportunities for yourself! Please do come talk to us!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *