NEW! FLAS FAQ-Please review before applying.
FLAS fellowships fund the study of Less Commonly Taught Languages and area studies coursework. This program provides academic year and summer fellowships to assist graduate students and advanced undergraduates in foreign language and area studies. The goals of the fellowship program include: (1) to assist in the development of knowledge, resources, and trained personnel for modern foreign language and area/international studies; (2) to stimulate the attainment of foreign language acquisition and fluency; and (3) to develop a pool of international experts to meet national needs.
There are two types of FLAS grants offered by CGI:
- Summer intensive language study. Grants provide ~$2,500 in stipend and full tuition (up to $5,000) for approved intensive summer language courses in the US or abroad.
- An academic year course of study that includes both language and area studies courses. Academic year grants for GRADUATE students provide ~ $15,000 in stipend plus full tuition and fees. Academic year grants for UNDERGRADUATE students provide $5000 in stipend plus $10,000 in tuition and fees.
The Center for Global Initiatives' priority languages are Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Hindi/Urdu. FLAS for other languages are supported by the appropriate Area Studies Center.
Major application materials are completed online while letters of recommendation and language evaluation forms must be completed in paper form.
1. APPLICATION FORM (online form)
You will submit the following on the online form:
- FLAS essay (A statement of purpose describing how the proposed language study fits in with the applicant's overall course of study, career goals, and research interests.)
2. HARD COPY MATERIALS
You will submit the following in hard copy:
- Two Letters of Reccomendation
Submit hard copy in signed, sealed envelopes. There is no template for a letter of recommendation. Letters of recommendation may also be emailed (to email@example.com) by the recommender if absolutely necessary.
- FLAS Language Evaluation Form
Submit hard copy.
- Curriculum Vita or Resume
- Transcripts (Unofficial UNC transcripts, those printed from Connect Carolina are accepted but transcripts from other universities must be official). Graduate Students should include undergraduate transcripts.
Drop off or mail these hard copy materials to be received by the January 31st deadline to:
The Center for Global Initiatives
FedEx Global Education Center
301 Pittsboro Street Ste 3002
Campus Box 5145
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-5145
Both online and hard copy materials must be RECEIVED by the deadline.
Senior Program Officer
Center for Global Initiatives