These awards offer modest support to faculty and staff who are presenting important scholarly work at major conferences abroad. These awards must be matched by your department, school or unit.
- be tenured/tenure-track faculty at UNC or a full-time EPA-Non Faculty or SPA Employee;
- present publishable work at a significant conference. We will not support observers or discussants;
- demonstrate that their participation in the conference has the potential to advance institutional relations between UNC and a university abroad;
- secure matching funds in advance from your director, chair or dean.
- All awards granted during the 2014-2015 academic year must be expended by May 31st 2015. For activity with a start date of August 1 or later, please hold your application until awards reopen next academic year. For activity that falls in between, please reach out to us!
Each faculty/staff member is limited to one award every two academic years.
Except in extraordinary circumstances, the maximum amount of money that the Center for Global Initiatives can offer is $500, and we usually make awards below this maximum.
Evaluation of Applicants
Reviewers assign points to each application based on the following rubric:
Feasibility and Planning (max. 5 points)
- Is the planned presentation adequate and appropriate to achieve the expected results?
- Is the proposal specific and well-written?
Need and Importance (max. 5 points)
- Is there a clear need for the applicant to receive this award in order to attend this conference?
- What is the significance of the conference?
Impact (max. 5 points)
- Will this conference presentation provide clear professional benefits for the applicant?
- Does participation in this conference have the potential to advance institutional relations between UNC-Chapel Hill and a university abroad?
Budget (max. 5 points)
- Is the budget clear, adequate, reasonable, and justified?
Notification of Award
Applicants will receive award or rejection notices via email 1-2 weeks after submitting an application. Please do not contact the Center for Global Initiatives to inquire about the status of your application during this time frame. However, if you have not received a notice 3 weeks after you submit your application, please inform us.
If you receive this award, you will be required to submit a final report after the conference using the Center for Global Initiatives' Online Reporting System. This system collects narratives and data about funded projects to enable the Center to determine whether its programmatic purposes are being met.
Awardees are also required to enter or update their brief biographical sketch in UNC's Faculty International Expertise database.
Please submit your application via the online application tracking system. The major parts of the application are:
- Conference information
- Statement of impact of attending conference
- Travel dates
Program Assistant, Center for Global Initiatives
Director, Center for Global Initiatives